Swanky Paneling

I was able to get several of the painted panels installed yesterday afternoon. It is a huge pain in the ass to cut around all of the notches and outlets but it will be worth it.

The large room is most of the way done, I have about 10 feet of one wall to do, and a few offcuts. I will save the offcuts until I have the other room done as well in case I use some of the scrap. No sense using good stuff until you have to.

Panel Painting

In our current workspace we have OSB wood sheeting on the walls. It provides a nice aesthetic but, more importantly, allows us to attach anything, anywhere to the walls. This is important because of all the tooling and shelves we use needing to be wall mounted in somewhat odd configurations.

This was a concern for the new space as well, obviously, but we decided to do it a little fancier than the last time. We cut about 80 pieces of particle board down to 2′ x 4′ segments. The idea was to panel the bottom half of the wall with these arranged in a brick-like pattern.

We wanted to stain them so we could get a bit of color from them but still retain that mottled appearance. It didn’t really turn out that great. We stained about 30 of them before deciding to scrap it. Jen went and bought a gallon of paint in similar colors and we spent the next few hours painting instead.

Now that they are all painted I can start laying them out and applying them to the existing walls.

Of course, I do have to case and trim the windows first…

Another door installed

There has been very little progress on the building within the last week. The duplex remodel got extremely involved, dealing with rotten floors and the replacement of same. We’re finally on the downward slope, I expect to be fully complete by 11am tomorrow.

I don’t currently own any rentals, but I have certainly learned a great deal about them recently. The primary lesson I take away from this is that if the tenant is long-term there should be periodic inspections. This really benefits both the landlord and the tenant.

I was able to get another rolling door installed last Sunday.

Similar angle to the photo, and same sized door, but I was able to get a bit further away from this on since it is on the property line instead of between buildings.

Rolling Door Milestone

Lately, I am all about milestones. The projects that I am into are just so large that to even feel the barest hint of progress I need to forcibly accomplish a significant task almost daily.

The doors we got for the workshop are the kind that are generally used at mini-storage places. I was able to install the second of the large (6′x7′) doors yesterday and it felt like such a huge deal.

This is a shot from the outside:

Here’s another look from the inside:

I got them from DBCI and absolutely love them. I scratched them a little bit and the super-rad customer service lady, Marie, told me they would hook me right up with touch up paint. I love nice people and even more I love nice companies!

Difference of a Day #2

I sort of interested myself with the title of the last post. I decided to see exactly what was done in the following day. I took pictures from the four corners of the interior before we started work last Monday then again from the same locations at the end of the day.

Front Left Corner:
Before

After

Front Right Corner:
Before

After

Rear Left Corner:
Before

After

Rear Right Corner
Before

After

So, there’s the real difference a day makes. the crazy thing is, that’s already a week ago. I’ll take a few shots tonight and I think you’ll be blown away by how far we’ve come in just a week.