Over the weekend I finished the last foot or so of hardwood flooring. I was fortunate through the entire process to not need to rip any boards to fit. All of my walls, transitions, and doorways were reached with full boards or only minimal notching. I really could not have planned it any better had I tried.
The only thing now is that I have about 250 sq. ft. of flooring left. Anyone need a small amount of recycled gym flooring? Please? =)
Saturday afternoon I picked up a gallon of oil-based polyurethane. I wasn’t sure that was going to be enough but one gallon was plenty for a single coat. I laid it on with 1/4″ nap roller, a long handle, and a normal paint tray. I made slow passes about 4 feet wide doing the overlapping W-pattern I remember fondly from years of vacuum detail in the Lisowski house.
I am very happy with the results, what do you think?
Is way harder than I thought. I’m not sure if it’s extra hard because the flooring is recycled, used gym flooring or what exactly. I am really enjoying the look of it but what a beast to install. I am about four feet from completion but just couldn’t lay one more piece tonight.
I did manage to remember to take pictures this time around.
That shot is from the side door facing the bathroom. Just barely off the right side of the frame is the wall/finish line. So close, but so three hours of work away.
That’s a view from the french doors facing the main entrance, the bathroom is immediately to the right.
And that picture should tie the whole thing together visually. Check out how you can see no fewer than 3 hammers in that last picture. This building business is crazy stuff.
Started laying down the reclaimed gym floor last night. Jen was hustling the pieces over to me while I blasted away with the nailer. We were able to lay it down at a rate of 1 square foot per minute.
I suppose I should be heartened that, at that rate, it would take another ten to eleven hours to finish. Too bad we both know that there is no way in hell it will go that fast.
I’ll try to get some pics up once there is more than a 3 foot wide stripe of it done.
I used to think that the worst thing in the world was working on existing plumbing. It’s always so stinky, disgusting, and difficult. Now that I have set up the new bathroom in the shop I think I can expand that to include ALL plumbing.
Hiring a plumber is certainly expensive, from what I hear, I never hired one, but for all the bullshit and headaches it’s probably worth it. I had all sorts of special circumstances with this latest build. There was the “on-demand” water heater, inaccessible blow-off drain, faucet inlet lines and ridiculous installation points…you name it.
I finally got everything I needed, took back what I didn’t, etc. by the fourth trip to Home Depot. And that was after I felt I had made a meticulous plan.
I started on Saturday somewhere around noon. There was nothing in the bath area except paint. Sunday around 6pm this was the result:
Here’s a final glamour-shot of the baby hot water heater:
Not a huge progress report, but things still are proceeding to move forward. Got the two main rooms completely paneled and cleaned out. Hung the french door between the two rooms also.
The only major hurdles left are to lay the recycled gym floor, and to paint and finish the bathroom.
Some gratuitous imagery: