Difference of a Day #2

I sort of interested myself with the title of the last post. I decided to see exactly what was done in the following day. I took pictures from the four corners of the interior before we started work last Monday then again from the same locations at the end of the day.

Front Left Corner:
Before

After

Front Right Corner:
Before

After

Rear Left Corner:
Before

After

Rear Right Corner
Before

After

So, there’s the real difference a day makes. the crazy thing is, that’s already a week ago. I’ll take a few shots tonight and I think you’ll be blown away by how far we’ve come in just a week.

Let me see that again

If it wasn’t clear from the last post, the inspector asked us to fix a few things related to the framing and shear-wall inspection. We fixed all of the things that were asked for and passed that inspection yesterday.

We’ve also installed the metal roofing and the siding trim and details. George had a guy over yesterday hanging the cement-based clapboards and he got one long wall all the way done. I was really hoping that the weather would be a bit more accommodating and allow us to get it painted but that was not to be. It’s looking like another 5 days of rain in our future.

If there is a break in the weather this afternoon I’ll be sure to take a few more pics.

Rain, rain, get the hell out!

It’s been raining here for the last 5+ days. It’s that asinine late winter rain where it rains for half an hour, sunny for half an hour, hail for half an hour…forever and ever it seems. Our framing and shear wall inspection went mostly okay the other day. The inspector wanted us to add some blocking behind some of the seams between siding sheets, which was no big deal.

That’s not to say it was no big deal altogether because there was one bombshell. Even though the plans show the buildings at 4′ of separation and were approved as such, the inspector felt that there was potential for fire to move rapidly from the garage to the outbuilding because the eaves were close.

I wanted to point out that a garage, by nature, has a higher concentration of flammables than probably any other location in the house. Which, of course, means that if it catches fire, with all the accelerants inside, proximity of the eaves will hardly be a concern.

After all of that, the inspector mandated that one of the walls be covered in fire-retardant materials, to at least a 1 hour burn rate. That sound like a problem, but it’s not too bad. It just meant that we needed to cover the siding of the building with something like a cement-based siding or sheetrock the interior of the rear garage wall.

No way in hell was I going to tear off the wood siding we had literally just installed which left me the “alternative” of completely emptying the rear of the garage and slinging insulation and drywall. It took me the better part of 3 hours to get everything out and another 2 hours to get the insulation and drywall up.

Not much more to go, not much money left either…the race is on.

Inspected by #9

At this point all of the interior framing and the shear-wall (exterior siding) is done. the inspection for these two items is set to occur on 12 March. That may be all we need to be signed off on a Final Inspection also but we just don’t know yet.

That’s not to say that the exterior is completely done, because it is not. There will be cement-based clapboards going on the lower section and a batten-board treatment on the upper section. Obviously, paint and gutters will need to be added as well.

Here are a few shots of how she looks as of about an hour ago:

From Building
From Building

Also slated for the exterior is an aluminum ramp and landing like they have on the newer school portables. I am still in the process of sourcing that particular item. I have found several resellers all using the same stock images online so I know there has to be at least one tier above all of these places.

I need to find some outdoor lighting to place on either side of the rolling doors also. Going to be tough I think to find something in the modern/industrial/contemporary vein that won’t cause another ka-ching spasm in my wallet.

Planning the Building

Back in November when Jen and I started planning to build, the first tool I reached for was Google SketchUp. It’s fairly intuitive to use, and the learning curve is more than worth it for how fast you can put together a decent model.

I orginally had siding, colors, and textures attached to the model but had to peel them off to make a few changes to the model. I plan on putting them back on soon so that we can pick colors for paint and such without having to rely on guesswork to decide if it would look good.

Without further ado, here is the initial planning model:

Stay tuned for additional model details and comparison real life photos.