A few years ago, we pre-modeled the (tiny) second bedroom upstairs into an office. I had bookshelves all along the walls and I built a desk into the closet to make use of the space. I say pre-modeled only because it was never really meant to stay that way, it was just something to tide us over for a few years until we got around to doing it properly.
I really was pleased with the idea of being able to use the closet space for something like the desk, but when it came time to actually do the remodel I had to make a change. That arrangement always put Jennifer and I in close proximity, which would never be a bad thing, but it also meant we had a pretty limited amount of desk space. That fact coupled with the thought that we wanted to make space for Brady meant we needed to rethink the desk scenario.
Is way harder than I thought. I’m not sure if it’s extra hard because the flooring is recycled, used gym flooring or what exactly. I am really enjoying the look of it but what a beast to install. I am about four feet from completion but just couldn’t lay one more piece tonight.
I did manage to remember to take pictures this time around.
That shot is from the side door facing the bathroom. Just barely off the right side of the frame is the wall/finish line. So close, but so three hours of work away.
That’s a view from the french doors facing the main entrance, the bathroom is immediately to the right.
And that picture should tie the whole thing together visually. Check out how you can see no fewer than 3 hammers in that last picture. This building business is crazy stuff.
I was able to get several of the painted panels installed yesterday afternoon. It is a huge pain in the ass to cut around all of the notches and outlets but it will be worth it.
The large room is most of the way done, I have about 10 feet of one wall to do, and a few offcuts. I will save the offcuts until I have the other room done as well in case I use some of the scrap. No sense using good stuff until you have to.
In our current workspace we have OSB wood sheeting on the walls. It provides a nice aesthetic but, more importantly, allows us to attach anything, anywhere to the walls. This is important because of all the tooling and shelves we use needing to be wall mounted in somewhat odd configurations.
This was a concern for the new space as well, obviously, but we decided to do it a little fancier than the last time. We cut about 80 pieces of particle board down to 2′ x 4′ segments. The idea was to panel the bottom half of the wall with these arranged in a brick-like pattern.
We wanted to stain them so we could get a bit of color from them but still retain that mottled appearance. It didn’t really turn out that great. We stained about 30 of them before deciding to scrap it. Jen went and bought a gallon of paint in similar colors and we spent the next few hours painting instead.
Now that they are all painted I can start laying them out and applying them to the existing walls.
Of course, I do have to case and trim the windows first…
Lately, I am all about milestones. The projects that I am into are just so large that to even feel the barest hint of progress I need to forcibly accomplish a significant task almost daily.
The doors we got for the workshop are the kind that are generally used at mini-storage places. I was able to install the second of the large (6′x7′) doors yesterday and it felt like such a huge deal.
This is a shot from the outside:
Here’s another look from the inside:
I got them from DBCI and absolutely love them. I scratched them a little bit and the super-rad customer service lady, Marie, told me they would hook me right up with touch up paint. I love nice people and even more I love nice companies!