I hate plumbing

I used to think that the worst thing in the world was working on existing plumbing.  It’s always so stinky, disgusting, and difficult.  Now that I have set up the new bathroom in the shop I think I can expand that to include ALL plumbing.

Hiring a plumber is certainly expensive, from what I hear, I never hired one, but for all the bullshit and headaches it’s probably worth it.  I had all sorts of special circumstances with this latest build.  There was the “on-demand” water heater, inaccessible blow-off drain, faucet inlet lines and ridiculous installation points…you name it.

I finally got everything I needed, took back what I didn’t, etc. by the fourth trip to Home Depot.  And that was after I felt I had made a meticulous plan.

I started on Saturday somewhere around noon.  There was nothing in the bath area except paint.  Sunday around 6pm this was the result:

Here’s a final glamour-shot of the baby hot water heater:

A look back

When I was talking in the last post about the OSB sheeting on the wall I decided I would revisit that and see what it looked like the day it was finished.

I sheeted the walls with OSB for aesthetic reasons but also for practical purposes. I sanded off all the architectural markings and sealed it with a single coat of tung oil just to get a little shine.

It’s great since the light catches and shines at crazy angles and I can still use it in a very utilitarian way. Pick a spot, nail, screw, or bolt something on, no need to worry about finding a stud or other impracticalities.

The current workspace is about 250 sq. ft. but I would estimate that we’re only able to use about 1/2 of that for framing. We still have our hobby stuff in there as well (not like we’ve even seen any of that stuff in a year or more).

I have 3 sewing machines and all of my fabric, webbing, and leather tools in there. Jen has her kiln and pottery wheel and all of the supplies that go with that. then more space is occupied by the closets, which are nice, but still eat into our available area.

Speaking of the closets, that’s one of them in the above picture. The other is in the opposite corner. I really love how it turned out when I applied the corrugated metal to them like that. Kind of a tropical/modern feel, if that’s even possible.

Here’s a view from the doorway:

If I dared show a view of what it looks like now it would leave even the most hardcore cluttlerbug in fits.

Inspected by #9

At this point all of the interior framing and the shear-wall (exterior siding) is done. the inspection for these two items is set to occur on 12 March. That may be all we need to be signed off on a Final Inspection also but we just don’t know yet.

That’s not to say that the exterior is completely done, because it is not. There will be cement-based clapboards going on the lower section and a batten-board treatment on the upper section. Obviously, paint and gutters will need to be added as well.

Here are a few shots of how she looks as of about an hour ago:

From Building
From Building

Also slated for the exterior is an aluminum ramp and landing like they have on the newer school portables. I am still in the process of sourcing that particular item. I have found several resellers all using the same stock images online so I know there has to be at least one tier above all of these places.

I need to find some outdoor lighting to place on either side of the rolling doors also. Going to be tough I think to find something in the modern/industrial/contemporary vein that won’t cause another ka-ching spasm in my wallet.

Planning the Building

Back in November when Jen and I started planning to build, the first tool I reached for was Google SketchUp. It’s fairly intuitive to use, and the learning curve is more than worth it for how fast you can put together a decent model.

I orginally had siding, colors, and textures attached to the model but had to peel them off to make a few changes to the model. I plan on putting them back on soon so that we can pick colors for paint and such without having to rely on guesswork to decide if it would look good.

Without further ado, here is the initial planning model:

Stay tuned for additional model details and comparison real life photos.

Forward Progress Begins Anew

Just as I thought, three months to the day, we began moving forward again. The windows and siding came in yesterday and the guys moved quickly getting one whole wall sided and windows installed.

From Building

There’s JJ on the scaffold caulking all of the nail holes and joints. They were able to get all six windows, siding, and soffit installed.

I was able to get an artsy action shot of George and Joel setting the windows. Nothing but asses and elbows, hard work all around.

From Building

I’ll leave off with a shot of the interior, as viewed from the main door.

From Building

I’m going to try and get the Sketchup files embedded here in the next post so we can see what the finished product is supposed to look like.