A few years ago, we pre-modeled the (tiny) second bedroom upstairs into an office. I had bookshelves all along the walls and I built a desk into the closet to make use of the space. I say pre-modeled only because it was never really meant to stay that way, it was just something to tide us over for a few years until we got around to doing it properly.
I really was pleased with the idea of being able to use the closet space for something like the desk, but when it came time to actually do the remodel I had to make a change. That arrangement always put Jennifer and I in close proximity, which would never be a bad thing, but it also meant we had a pretty limited amount of desk space. That fact coupled with the thought that we wanted to make space for Brady meant we needed to rethink the desk scenario.
We’ve been without door handles on our French doors, in the shop, for about 8 months now. I kept thinking that I would find something funky and fun to put up but never did.
Angela floated out the idea of doing something with license plates so after a few false starts this is what I came up with.
I formed the plate over a section of 1″ steel pipe creating the grab area. I then knocked out a quick and dirty press brake using some scrap wood and C-clamps to flatten the mounting area back the other direction.
I was able to do all of the forming with a 3 pound hammer and a small ball pein. I think it turned out great, you?
Over the weekend I finished the last foot or so of hardwood flooring. I was fortunate through the entire process to not need to rip any boards to fit. All of my walls, transitions, and doorways were reached with full boards or only minimal notching. I really could not have planned it any better had I tried.
The only thing now is that I have about 250 sq. ft. of flooring left. Anyone need a small amount of recycled gym flooring? Please? =)
Saturday afternoon I picked up a gallon of oil-based polyurethane. I wasn’t sure that was going to be enough but one gallon was plenty for a single coat. I laid it on with 1/4″ nap roller, a long handle, and a normal paint tray. I made slow passes about 4 feet wide doing the overlapping W-pattern I remember fondly from years of vacuum detail in the Lisowski house.
I am very happy with the results, what do you think?
Is way harder than I thought. I’m not sure if it’s extra hard because the flooring is recycled, used gym flooring or what exactly. I am really enjoying the look of it but what a beast to install. I am about four feet from completion but just couldn’t lay one more piece tonight.
I did manage to remember to take pictures this time around.
That shot is from the side door facing the bathroom. Just barely off the right side of the frame is the wall/finish line. So close, but so three hours of work away.
That’s a view from the french doors facing the main entrance, the bathroom is immediately to the right.
And that picture should tie the whole thing together visually. Check out how you can see no fewer than 3 hammers in that last picture. This building business is crazy stuff.
Started laying down the reclaimed gym floor last night. Jen was hustling the pieces over to me while I blasted away with the nailer. We were able to lay it down at a rate of 1 square foot per minute.
I suppose I should be heartened that, at that rate, it would take another ten to eleven hours to finish. Too bad we both know that there is no way in hell it will go that fast.
I’ll try to get some pics up once there is more than a 3 foot wide stripe of it done.